Coopersburg, PA (September 2, 2009) – After more than a decade of experience and refinement in the RF arena, and more than one million RF devices installed globally, Lutron is pleased to announce that its robust, wireless, RF technology has been branded as Clear Connect RF Technology – the latest advancement in reliable, RF communication.
In 1991, Lutron identified the need for a completely retrofittable lighting control system. The retrofit requirement drove the communications to be RF-based. Lutron knew that lighting control in a home or business was operationally essential, therefore ultimate reliability was vital. These systems can
never stop working; in fact, they can’t even tolerate latency issues.
The required performance standard for a lighting control system is much higher than for many other systems. The company began analyzing the needs in the global marketplace, investigating possible communication topologies, observing and predicting changes and trends in RF technology and usage,
and working through the various frequency bands and their regulatory requirements.
The result? RadioRA became the first, easy-to-install, versatile and reliable RF home light control system. The company has since employed this same reliable, RF technology in its other product families, which today include: HomeWorks, RadioTouch®, Aurora®, Sivoia QED® electronic shading systems, Maestro Wireless®, Radio Powr Savr™ sensors, GRAFIK Eye® QS Wireless and Sivoia® QS Wireless.
A timeline of Lutron’s RF experience
- 1997—Lutron introduces RadioRA (418 MHz) – one channel (AM), the world’s first RF professional-grade, two-way lighting control system. Today it’s the “gold standard” to which all lighting control systems are compared.
- 2003—Lutron introduces RF HomeWorks devices (434 MHz) – 60 channels (FM). When Lutron decided to design RF products for the HomeWorks product line, the system size and feature set required a multi-channel transceiver that allows multiple subsystems to communicate simultaneously.
- 2006—Lutron introduces RF Sivoia QED electronic shading systems into the HomeWorks product family.
- 2007—Aurora is introduced as the world’s simplest RF lighting control system.
- 2008—HomeWorks International RF brings the power of this system to new global markets. Clear Connect RF Technology is developed as Lutron’s latest advancement in reliable RF communications. All subsequent Lutron RF systems utilize Clear Connect. Stanza is introduced as the new standard for RF lighting control in hotel guest rooms.
- 2009--The Radio Powr Savr wireless sensor and Maestro Wireless families are introduced as the simplest way to retrofit energy savings and convenience into a space. The introduction of wireless capability to GRAFIK Eye QS and Sivoia QS brings the flexibility, ease of installation, and convenience of wireless control to two of our flagship product families.
A new whitepaper (Clear Connect RF Technology: Reliable First. Forward Thinking) detailing Lutron’s RF history and experience is now available. Please order part-number 367-1234.
Visit Lutron at CEDIA Expo at booth #2408 in Atlanta, Georgia.
About Lutron Electronics (www.lutron.com)
Lutron Electronics Co., Inc., headquartered in Coopersburg, Pennsylvania, designs and manufactures lighting controls and automated window treatments for residential and commercial applications. Lutron products save energy and make light bulbs last longer, making them an eco-friendly addition to the home and office.