Features Include a Newly Designed HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor to Improve Resolution, Enhance Low-Light Performance and Expand Dynamic Range
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., January, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new line of six VIXIA High Definition flash memory camcorders - three compact VIXIA HF M-series models and three entry-level VIXIA HF R-series models - for 2012. Focusing on the social network experience, Canon has enhanced select models with Wi-Fi connectivity, the option to capture videos in MP4 or AVCHD file format and full Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) compatibility, unleashing on-the-spot creative video sharing and still-image uploads. The MP4 file format option helps make content easier to share across mobile devices and to social networks online, while DLNA connectivity allows wireless transmission of videos to DLNA-compatible HDTVs. Encouraging users to shoot and share, the Canon VIXIA HF M52*, VIXIA HF M50*, VIXIA HF R32* and VIXIA HF R30* models have the ability to upload videos directly to social media sites such as YouTube and Facebook over a Wi-Fi network, or to mobile devices such as an iPhone or iPadi utilizing a free Movie Uploader app.
"Imaging devices are a key component of the interactive social experience, therefore, they must connect," said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. "We are excited to include Wi-Fi connectivity and DLNA technology, among other new features, in our new VIXIA models that will allow consumers to easily share high-quality videos with friends and families."
Canon has included a range of features and functions to help users capture stunning video to share including improved low-light image capture, a new Intelligent Image Stabilization (IS) system and the ability to capture MP4 video recordings. Canon has included dual codec recording, giving users the option to record in AVCHD, for the highest quality viewing on an HDTV, or in MP4 format, for easy sharing with mobile devices or social networks. The new 2012 VIXIA models feature a 20 percent improvement in low-light performance compared to previous models as a result of enhancements made to Canon's HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor. The sensor boasts a minimum illumination rating of 1.2 lux, Canon's lowest lux rating to date in a consumer HD camcorder.ii Another enhancement to select models in Canon's 2012 VIXIA lineup is the ability to export content directly to an external hard-disc drive through an optional USB adapteriii for simple file sharing and archiving without the need of a computer.
Advanced Technologies and Features:
- Share and view videos via Wi-Fi: Select models of the VIXIA HF M- and R-series camcorders include the ability to share, view and store videos wirelessly, including the ability to upload videos directly to YouTube and Facebook:
- Share: When connected to a Wi-Fi network, videos can be uploaded directly to YouTube or Facebook. When on the go, use an iPhone or iPad and free Movie Uploader app to connect a VIXIA camcorder to a cellular network to enable video uploads.
- Watch and Store: Select 2012 VIXIA camcorders allow users to wirelessly transmit videos to a PC for storage, an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch through a free Movie Uploader app enabling quick storage on these mobile devices, or on-the-spot playback for friends and family. Users can also enjoy wirelessly viewing on a DLNA-compatible HDTV or through other DLNA-compatible devices such a game console.
- Audio Scene Select: The Canon VIXIA HF M-series is equipped with a new Audio Scene Select menu that streamlines the selection of custom audio selection. Users select the environment that is being captured - a musical performance, a speech, a forest - and the camcorder will automatically adjust settings, including microphone directionality, frequency response, wind screen, volume level and microphone attenuator. While users will still be given the option to make these adjustments manually, the new audio settings menu makes the optimization of the audio levels quick and easy for casual users.
- Export to External Hard Drive: Consumers are starting to use external storage devices more and more to supplement limited amounts of memory on laptops. Select models of Canon VIXIA camcorders allow a direct transfer of video content from the camcorder to an external storage device, a process which historically required a computer as a conduit. Data transfers from the VIXIA camcorder to an external hard drive are accomplished through an optional USB adapter.
- Intelligent IS System: Canon has enhanced its Image Stabilization (IS) system, which automatically detects the needs of the situation being captured. The new Intelligent IS system will change intuitively through one of four IS modes - Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod - so that the user has fewer things to worry about while shooting video. When the record button is pressed and the subject is walking, the Intelligent IS system will employ Dynamic stabilization to help reduce camera shake automatically. However, if the subject is detected to be very close to the camcorder, Macro (or Hybrid) stabilization will activate to counter shift camera shake; if the subject is far from the camcorder at extreme telephoto distances, Powered IS will activate to help counter slow, large-scale camcorder shake.
The 2012 VIXIA lineup retains many popular features that make it easy to record outstanding HD video, such as Canon's Smart AUTO mode that intelligently detects and analyzes brightness, color, distance and movement to automatically select the best of 38 available pre-set setting selections for the scene being recorded. Canon's Touch & Track feature allows users to select any subject on the Touch Panel LCD screen with their finger, which the camcorder will then track to ensure sharp focus and proper exposure. The camcorders also include built-in Cinema-Look Filters that give the look of a variety of cinematic styles by compensating for the color, gamma and other aspects of the image's quality. Select 2012 VIXIA models have Relay Recording for seamless uninterrupted video recording from one memory source to the next. When the primary recording media is full, the camcorder continues to record the scene by switching to the next memory source, so that users won't miss a moment of action.
As an integrated part of Canon's Intelligent IS, the Powered IS feature provides a higher level of compensation for subtle hand movement at the telephoto end of the zoom range. In addition, all VIXIA camcorders with built-in memory feature HD-to-SD Downconversion, which enables users to convert recorded high-definition video to standard-definition files while preserving the original HD footage. These down-converted files make it even more convenient to share video online or create a DVD. Each new model is also compatible with Eye-Fi SD Memory Cards, allowing for wireless uploading of video content to a computer, social networking site or video sharing website.